Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:05:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Secure File Transfers

On 30-Nov-99 Ray Seals wrote:
> Is there a good product to perform secure FTP's from a workstation (ie,
> Win98, NT, UNIX) to a FreeBSD server?  I have heard of a product called
> FileDrive be Differential software but it doesn't really list the platforms
> that it runs on.  It would also be helpful to have an open solution.
>
> Ray

You're probably looking for scp in the ssh-port (/usr/ports/security/ssh). It is
pretty much the standard ftp-ing utility these days. You should be able to find
it for 'wintendo' too, but I don't know where exactly.

There is a sshd (daemon) that should be running on the FreeBSD box (ie. the
recieving machine). It's startbable by itself or via inetd.

To send file.txt to host lagrange as user mj to his home directory do:
scp file.txt mj@lagrange:~/

and you will be prompted for password before continuing.

Do read the man page for ssh as it has some interesting configuration options.

Cheers,
Micke
Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se