Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:30:11 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Tuning for router performance

> In article <MDEHLPKNGKAHNMBLJOLKEEKADDAB.davids@webmaster.com>,
> 	davids@webmaster.com ("David Schwartz") writes:
>
> >> options         HZ=1000         #for polling
> > That's too low. 2000 is the minimum you should consider.
>
> Having fixed my traffic generator, I'm now hitting ~220Kpps as limit
> before errors.

	Excellent.

> > kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet=0
> > kern.random.sys.hervest.interrupt=0
>
> Doesn't seem to make any real difference in my test.

	That's strange, maybe it's because in polling mode there aren't many
interrupts.

> > kern.ipc.nmbclusters="262144"
> > vm.kmem_size="536870912"
> > vm.kmem_size_max="536870912"
>
> These don't really make any difference, I'm guessing would only help
> larger packet sizes?

	The 'nmbclusters' change really only affects things if you have a lot of
local endpoints. And the kmem_size stuff only affects the case where you
have a lot of dummynet pipes or dynamic firewall rules. They're just part of
my typical router tuning because people often want these things as well.

	DS