Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 03:42:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bug or feature: "make world" static linking

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:10:21 -0700
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>

[ snip ]

> > After investigating with 'ldd', it was pretty obvious that the
> > binaries had been _statically_ linked.  Easy enough to change
> > by adding "-Xlinker -Bdynamic" to CFLAGS.

[ snip ]

> It shouldn't be doing this unless you tell it to.  What other local
> settings have you changed?

Although I had messed with CFLAGS settings in '/usr/share/mk/':

1. I think that I changed all back, and didn't change anything
   that looked like linker food;

2. I "maked" again after reinstalling the "source" distribution.

It's conceivable that I goofed (minimal sleep when I did this),
but I'm 98% certain that I had a clean environment.  If nobody
else can confirm or deny my observations, I'll run a clean
install and 'make world' to address the 2%.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence