Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:49:21 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Jon Disnard <diz@linuxpowered.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

In message <40F4562D.2020101@linuxpowered.com>, Jon Disnard writes:

>As an example, I think of the (20031112) statfs entry in UPDATING.
>What is the sequence of "make world" again? What caused so many problems
>during the statfs updates, was it not partly because of "make world"?
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that "make
>world" does not have this sequence:

I think the problem here is that people type "make world" when
they shouldn't.

The reason they shouldn't was because we explicitly told them
not to and they either didn't read the warning/info/docs or they
didn't understand them or they thought it didn't apply to them.

Removing the world target will not fix that.

But removing the world target will make a lot of documentation
wrong, about 22900 pages of documentation according to google.

Even if we think that the 22000 pieces of documentation is copies
of the handbook which will automatically be fixed, that leaves
900 pages too many.

Find a better solution please.