Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:21:24 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: Patch to add Netgraph to all ethernet interfaces.

Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> Here is a patch that adds a netgraph node capability to any ethernet
> driver.

>  I added the "divert" option for fun (it
> was 3 lines or so)  but you probably don't want it in the final product as
> it probably adds about 6 instructions to the path of normal IP packets

> I've been wondering about the following node types..
> DPF (dynamic Packet Filter.. super high speed packet sorter)
> ipfw clone
> link-level packet filter
> link-level bridging

802.1Q VLAN tagging, 802.3p ToS tagging, static trunking, 802.3? dynamic
trunking, 802.1 STP participation for renundant links, etc. pp.

Although one might want to make the "divert" mode optional (for performance
reasons), there is plenty opportunity to do fancy stuff with ethernet.

As we have just installed a BayStack 350, and as soon as I've upgraded our
lab machine to 4.0-current, I could give trunking a try...

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18