Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:48:51 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw count

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 04:38:37PM +0200, Nevermind wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to save ipfw count rule's counter of
> bytes/packets between reboots?

If we're talking about clean shutdowns, you could just add something
to rc.shutdown to save 'ipfw show' to a file.

> The point is I need to count my total traffic, and traffic initiated by all of
> my local workstations but my router reboots sometimes and all of my ipfw rules
> are zeroed...

Spontaneuous reboots, especially on a box just doing routing, should
not be happening. If that is the case, bets are off on
rc.shutdown. You can put in a cronjob to write out 'ipfw show' every
few minutes.