Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 05:52:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blt2.1

> I see, we're taking orthogonal directions.  Mine would have a different
> package for each set of options, yours would build every possible option.

I think it's an important distinction.  Let's say (as a very
reasonable example) you wanted to make the emacs package dual-use for
those with and without X, e.g. provide an emacs binary which doesn't
fall over in the absence of X libraries if the user chooses the
"NO_X11" version.  In your scheme, you'd need to build two completely
different emacs packages with replicated lisp libraries, info, the
whole whack.  Mine would have two flavors, the only files being
replicated for each flavor (instead of being hashed to the same entry)
being the actual emacs executables which differed.

> OK, if you want that direction.  Do you include any hackery to allow the
> guy who builds his own ports just to build and install the parts he wants?

That's a ports issue, not a packaging issue. :-) The port can still be
as clever as it wants and not affect any of my stuff, and it's only
the "package" target I see changing to any degree in bsd.port.mk.

						Jordan