Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:09:20 +0000
From:      Howard Jones <howie@thingy.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>,  FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] FreeBSD Torrent Server

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The FreeBSD server operators don't pay a dime for bandwidth and
> if the bandwidth supplier for freebsd.org made the slightest complaint
> about the bandwidth they are donating, there's a passel of ISP's and
> networks that would fight each other for the chance of the feather in the
> cap that hosting freebsd.org is.

Geez. It's good to see that people who donate their resources to a
project are appreciated.

For things the size of ISOs, I generally try and get the torrent because
it allows me to 'donate' some of my bandwidth to distributing the
project too. Since not everyone can donate code or expertise, this seems
like a good way to help, as it does spread the load around more, and (in
our well-connected office at least) I get to be a temporary mirror for
something that is often in demand just after release.