Date:      19 Oct 1999 23:53:41 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network backup solution

Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net> wrote:

> I need to backup my FreeBSD 3.2-R server from a Linux box.  The linux
> box is fitted with a HP tape drive and our budget doesn't allow us to
> take the easy way out and just buy another tape drive when I know for
> sure that there should be a way to backup over the network.

Somebody has already pointed you to Amanda. That is probably overkill
for two hosts only, and if you've never done it before, initially
setting up Amanda is somewhat difficult due to its complexity.
I suggest a more straightforward solution:

- Set up rsh so that root can execute commands from the FreeBSD
  box on the Linux one and vice versa. (~root/.rhosts; probably
  you also need to add "-h" to the flags rshd is called with in
  inetd.conf on the Linux box.)

- On the FreeBSD box, you can now run full backups like

    dump 0af linuxbox:/dev/nst0 /
    dump 0af linuxbox:/dev/nst0 /home
    dump 0af linuxbox:/dev/nst0 /usr
    dump 0af linuxbox:/dev/nst0 /var
    rsh linuxbox mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

  (or whatever your filesystems are). See the dump(8) and restore(8)
  man pages.

- You probably want to actually initiate the backup of the FreeBSD
  box from the Linux machine (you certainly don't want both machines
  to try to run backups at the same time):

    rsh freebsdbox dump 0af linuxbox:/dev/nst0 /
    etc.

  Collect all the commands in simple shell scripts.

Yes, you can read the BSD dump archives on the Linux box. And if
you don't use dump there yet, you might want to check it out. Yes,
with varying amounts of fiddling you can also do remote backups
with tar, cpio, and with pax.

(If you can read German, check out the writeup of my presentation on
elementary Unix backup tools at this year's LinuxTag:
http://home.pages.de/~naddy/unix/backup.html
I have intended to rewrite this in English and submit it to Daemon News
for quite some time, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Sorry.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de