Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:53:54 -0500
From:      Carl Tucker <cft@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subject: Can't boot FreeBSD on a Sony VAIO qr10

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:48:56PM +0100, stepahne B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a VAIO qr10 on which I would like to install FreeBSD. The
> machine comes without a floppy drive and I can only boot from the
> CDROM. When booting the 4.4-install CD the machine hard locks just
> after "ppc0: parallel port not found"

My VAIO laptop did the same thing during probing.  The problem
turned out to be the pcmcia hanging.  If I pressed and released
the power button, the computer would shut off.  Then I'd immediately
turn it back on, and it would continue probing from where it left off.
That way I could at least boot the system.

To fix the real problem, I set the IRQ of my pcmcia controller properly.
I can't remember the correct settings now, though - I'm on a different
machine.
--
Carl Tucker
cft@panix.com