Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:14:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      rohit@cs.umd.edu (Rohit Dube)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   4/8 (multi)port serial cards : What works?

Hi,

I am shopping for a multiport serial card for my freebsd box.
I need the card to be able to hook up to modems for remote
dial in and to other freebsd boxes thru NULL serial cable for
kernel debugging.

Is there a card simultaneously well suited for both these
requirements? A recommended re-seller who has good prices?

I looked at the Data Comm Warehouse site and they had
'CTRL CYBERPRO QUAD I/O 4PORT SERIAL CARD 16650UART' listed
for $99.95. Haven't heard of this one in FreeBSD circles....

Cyclades lists its Cyclom-8Yo (8-port ISA) at $329. No 4-ports.
It seems to be able to support full modem functionality. I would
appreciate comments from anybody who has actually used these?

Thanks.

--rohit.

PS: I have DB25 males at the back of my boxes. I am also looking
		for DB25 female to RJ45 female converters which could be
		put on the boxes make it possible to run RJ45 terminated
		serial cable between any 2 boxes. Recommendations for an
		outlet which stocks such things greatly appreciated.