Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:10:44 -0400
From:      Mark Plummer <markus@clark.net>
To:        "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow booting

> Hello:
>
> One of our machines is stalling as it boots.  Not stalling, really but
> pausing for about five minutes before moving on.  Here's what I see:
>
> >lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> >        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >ed1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         inet 192.168.1.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
> >         ether 00:40:33:3b:d8:1d
> ---THIS IS WHERE THE DELAY OCCURS---
> >clearing /tmp
>
> Initially I had thought something in the static routes might be causing the
> hang, but I took those out and the problem persists.  I have two other
> systems with the exact same NE2000-compatible networking card on almost the
> exact same configuration (the others have slightly more RAM and use SCSI
> instead of IDE drives) so I haven't a clue what's causing the problem.
>
> If I hit control-C while the system is paused, the boot will continue
> normally, and I don't notice any adverse effects.  Obviously, some idea of
> what is causing the boot process to hang would be better than needing to
> manually abort something every time, though.  (And I'd rather know what I
> was aborting too.)
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Jordyn
>
> P.S. We're testing this system behind a firewall before we get our actual
> 'Net feed next month, hence the 192.168. network numbers...

check and see if you're using names to refer to hosts or nets and if so,
if your dns (or yp) is configured yet (yet == at the hanging point of the
boot).  i don't like to use names for sysconfig since they're not always
translatable early in the boot process...

markus

-- Mark Plummer, markus@clark.net, +1 410 796 1272