Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:32:27 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sprice@hiwaay.net, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

asami>  * Some math libraries come with assembly for multiple platforms.
asami>  * A good example is the GNU gmp library.  I do agree however that
asami>  * we should probably seriously consider adding ${ARCH}_ONLY and
asami>  * BROKEN_${ARCH} to bsd.port.mk.
asami>
asami> Well, the idea was to have a "Makefile.${ARCH}" that defines these
asami> stuff.  Do you think having variables is better?

humm.. in the current framework,

"BRONEN_ALPHA" is equivalent to:
.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "alpha"
	BROKEN = cannot build on alpha
.endif

"ALPHA_ONLY" is equivalent to:
.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} != "alpha"
	BROKEN = for alpha only
.endif

these may be enough for a while. I didn't think much about this.

BTW, how shall we treat shareable packages (e.g. X11 and TeX fonts).
It's waste of time and space to build packages on each architecture.
Do we need ARCH_COMMON tag and packages-common directoy in addition
to packages-i386 and packages-alpha?

asami>  * I'll have some time after next Wednesday (family reunion in
asami>  * Texas starting tomorrow) to work up some patches.  Got any
asami>  * preferences for the new features.  One think someone should
asami>  * probably take a look at how (Net|Open)BSD is handling this.
asami>  * They have a ports tree that looks somewhat like our own and
asami>  * surely they have something in there to handle multiple archs.
asami>
asami> "Someone". :)

I'll try to look.

asami> Meanwhile, if you can get them to work with "#ifdef __alpha" or
asami> whatever, go right ahead.  Shimokawa-san, do you want commit access?

Yes, it should be hard to fix many ports without commit access.

asami>  * I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a weekly status report.  I'll
asami>  * let Satoshi speak for himself. :)  However we should probably
asami>  * hold off on sending this out to everyone at least in the very
asami>  * near term until we get established who's doing what and where
asami>  * all the packages are going to live.  Otherwise we'll be fielding
asami>  * tons of Email asking where things are and if our only answer
asami>  * is "on our personal machines" they could get miffed.
asami>
asami> I can create a package-alpha dir on wcarchive if someone can build the
asami> packages.  Actually, are those buildable on i386 machines under a
asami> chroot dir?  If so, I can even build those myself. :)

I afraid it's difficult. It shouldn't be difficult to get cross compiler work,
but some ports may use their own bootstrap binaries (e.g. miniperl) which
cannot run on i386.

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp