Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:18:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Taylor <btaylor@berkano.pair.com>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: are backplanes needed for IDE RAID?

Alex,

  No, you don't need to buy IDE backplanes for 3Ware IDE RAID controller.
The IDE disk enclosure/tray from Synetic won't allow you to do hot-swap on
the IDE drives anyway. Don't waste your money on it. Just mount the IDE
drives directly in to your server's drive bays. They should work fine.

   If you really need hot-swap IDE drives, you might want to take a look
at following website.

 http://www.rackmount.com/RackSvr/ColocationServer1125-IDE-RAID.htm

  The IDE Raid unit has a build-in IDE-to-IDE RAID-1 controller.  It
doesn't need a RAID software driver for FreeBSD O.S.  Actually you can
install any types of operating system on it using a standard IDE driver.
(Operating system independent RAID system).
Cool stuff!

Bryan Taylor
P-Networks