Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:11:11 +0800
From:      "Derek Barrett" <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
To:        <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Another long post sorry!

Andy, I like your style, and I agree with most of what you
have said. You seem determined to make a difference, and that's what is needed on this project, since as you say, getting the approval of the higher ups just isn't possible. One thing I've learned quickly in my
young life is sometimes it's better not to ask, and just do it. Seems
like that's where you are going on this one. And what boggles me is that
this is a feature that alot of people would really kill for. I am
so surprised there is nothing in place to date!

At my first job, we would get angry calls from clients, because the documentation they were using was over 3 years old! So their client software wasn't working. We were server guys, and this was taking us away from handling server issues, and making clients really angry because
they had no direction for installing (what should have been) a
simple Windows client! I hounded my boss so many times that
we had an updated document to send out, if we could just send it
out, that would cut down our calls by 90%. My boss would not do
it because of politics, he didn't want to upset the department
that had written that document 3 years ago. (And wouldn't even
ask them if we could help update it). We gave him the nickname,
"blocker." After a while I just stopped asking, and started
emailing the thing out anyway! You know what? Clients stopped
calling us with problems!

I think you have chosen the right place for your project,
because I think I've seen maybe 2 posts last month, none the month
before that. So this place is ripe for leadership and initiative, without too many overlords and naysayers to shoot it down before it gets started.

I've been hoping to help out on freebsd for some time now,
maybe this can be a good project. I'm especially interested in the
documentation side.

Good job Andy!

Derek