Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:14:36 +0000
From:      Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
To:        freebasd newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: your mail+ Building and Breaking and all that...

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> # decrock@yahoo.com / 2003-01-23 23:23:24 -0800:
> > Heya.  I'm definitely a newbt.  It took me two (full) days to get
> > FreeBSD running over FTP and I almost took the Good Lord's name in
> > vain regarding your OS.  However, it works now, somewhat, and
> > I'm appreciative, seeing the hefty sack of potential in the tidy
> > package.
>
>     as someone else wrote either here or in questions@ a few days ago:
>     you will do yourself a favor if you consider this installation a
>     throwaway. that way you won't be scared of breaking anything, and
>     then you won't be scared to explore new stuff either. the more you
>     break it in the beginning the less you'll break it in the future.
>
> > Now back to the hair-pulling.
>
>     yeah, I remember the adrenaline rush when I saw the os boot from the
>     cd for the first time. I miss it. :)
>
> --
> If you cc me or remove the list(s) completely I'll most likely ignore
> your message.    see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html

That is generally good advice. If one has an extra box around it is
nice to bring things up on it and have an experimental box as opposed
to the box one does one's work on. Someday I will be able to practice
my own advice. ;)

The way *BSD lists are organized...well this seems to be the
best place to ask this. It is a little too general for hackers. Has anyone
used TeX a lot under *BSD or any other nice typesetting system?
Has anyone brought up things like the POV ray tracing program and
got it to do interesting things.

I ask this because my current grumble with BSD, Linux etc. is the
difficulty of finding good multimedia and graphic art production tools
for them. Anyone know of any tales of anybody' good homebrew setup?
Like has anyone thrown together a zine or a book on a BSD system
and what did they use.

Also I would love to hear any tales of anyone who exploited the
underlying BSD-ness of the new MAC OS. Though I admit I can
not afford a MAC hence my graphic arts with PCs running *BSD
or that other operating system;) Like under the MAC OS has anyone
actually run cron and at jobs and the like and used the unique features
that *NIX operating systems have.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. Giggle it has been awhile since I have been a newbie...;)