Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 03:29:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com (Thomas Dean)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Slowness

Thomas Dean said:
> I am using Emacs 19.34.1 for mail.
>
> The longer I use it, the slower it becomes.  Getting mail from the
> mailbox becomes slower.  Displaying and/or sorting headers becomes
> slower.  After a couple of days, it takes 15 sec to get 60 messages
> from the mailbox and another 15 sec to display headers.  Longer for a
> header sort.
>
> If I exit and restart Emacs, performance is restored.
>
> I don't see anything unusual in pstat, swapinfo, top or vmstat.

Take a look at /proc/<pid>/map.  I suspect that the Emacs memory
management might be flabby.  To read the contents of the map file,
you might have to use the "cat" command, because other commands don't
access the file in a way that procfs wants.  If it looks like there
are alot of map entries, send me a copy of it.