Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:29:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: writing slower with SoftUpdates

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> According to iozone, writing a 256M file to this empty 512M
> fs works at
>
> 	18247338 bytes/second without SoftUpdates
> 	16687585 bytes/second with SoftUpdates
>
> The results are repeatable with very little deviations. Reading speed
> is about the same regardless of SoftUpdates and is around 13.9Mb/s.
>
> The disk is a 9Gb Cheetah LVD, attached to the LVD outlet of Adaptec's
> 2940U2W.
>
> Another, identical Cheetah on the same SCSI cable, with another 512M
> empty filesystem gives
>
> 	18179755 b/s with SoftUpdates
> 	18315425 b/s without SoftUpdates
>
> Again, reading is not affected, but averages higher at around 18Mb/s.
>
> Are this results what one should expect?

The only thing I can think of is that softupdates introduces
longer code paths in the filesystem code for block accounting
and meta data operations, for I/O intesive stuff it works
great, but if your processor isn't that fast or you have benches
that specifically mess with the softupdates code you'll probably get
performance hits.

-Alfred