Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:00:25 -0700
From:      "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with chflags

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:03:57PM +0200, Michiel Boland wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Colin Percival wrote:
> >    Well I'm just a clueless bumbling newbie myself, but since nobody else
> > seems to have answered yet... it sounds to me like you're running at a
> > positive securelevel.  You probably want to edit rc.conf and reboot in
> > order to set the securelevel back to zero, at which point you'll be able to
> > proceed with the install.
>
> No, you want to read /usr/src/UPDATING and boot into single-user mode
> before make installworld.

a more complete reference on this topic can be found at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
it's a very thorough guide and even has some tips to help speed the
build process.

as i learned very quickly the first time i tried to 'make world', the
directions in /usr/src/UPDATING are very general and leave out several
important steps of the process.