Date:       Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:33:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cached versus non cached disk I/O

On 2000-Aug-03 15:20:02 -0700, Tom <tom@uniserve.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Not quite.  softupdates is actually more robust than a normal FS
>> mount (and far more robust than async).

>  Not likely.  I personally pushed softupdates over the edge before (see
>archives).  In my case, the amount of unwritten metadata filled up all
>kernel space.  The filesystem was recoverable, but fsck filled up
>lost+found several times (that should be considered a fsck bug that wasn't
>possible to expose without softupdates). It was rather messy.

That definitely is (or was) a bug in softupdates - it's not supposed
to behave that way.

I presume you're referring to the postmark test you were running last
December on 3.4-STABLE.  Looking at the CVS logs, the core softupdates
code would have been 1.34.2.3, which is now nearly a year old.  Have
you tried repeating your tests on a more version of softupdates
(5-CURRENT or 4-STABLE)?  It looks like Kirk doesn't MFC many of the
changes he makes in -CURRENT, but there were are a lot of softupdates
fixes in 4-STABLE compared to 3-STABLE.  (From what I can see, there
has only been one real bugfix in -CURRENT since 4-STABLE branched -
that related to a panic if user quotas were exceeded).

Peter