Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:51:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> > If you want the removal of config to happen, _do something about it_.
>
> A lot of us don't.  Most of us who don't are the same ones as learned
> long ago to filter out mail matching ^From:.*tlambert@.*primenet\.com.
> Terry has been complaining about config for five years now, and while
> the current config is a mess, I don't believe that there is serious
> disagreement about the need for such a tool.  (I think this goes
> particularly for those of us who operate machines that people actually
> depend upon on a day-to-day basis.)

1)	Barriers for new users should be removed, even if they are
	sacred cows.

Yes, this is an opinion, but I believe it is one that is beneficial
to the FreeBSD project, and is (or should) be held by others who
advocate FreeBSD.

2)	The config program is a barrier for new users.

This isn't an opinion.  It's a fact.  People who have never used the
config program in FreeBSD are unlikely to have experience with a
similar program in the environment they came from, be it Linux or
be it Windows.

Let's actually address the issue you raise:

What task can you perform with config that you don't think you would
be able to perform without config?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---