Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:54:49 +0900
From:      Keiichi SHIMA <keiichi@iij.ad.jp>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gif tunnel timeout problems

Marko,

Marko Cuk wrote:

> I have noticed, that over a certain period of time, if there is no packets going trough tunnel, other side of tunnel becomes unreachable.

Could you show us your network configuration of both sides?  Also, how
long time does it take from when you have succeeded to communicate
with the other tunnel end to when you see the problem?

> I must ping or made a connection to physical address to reestablish connection or ping tunneling IP class on other side and wait for 10 -15 seconds to reestablish tunnel.
>
> Strange. I have that problem in 4.3 release cvsupped before month ago and the problem persists in newer versions ( when gif has been modified ).

The routing table information, arp/ndp table information of BEFORE the
problem and AFTER the problem may help.  Please capture these
information using netstat -nr, arp -na, ndp -na and show us too.

---
Keiichi SHIMA <keiichi@iij.ad.jp>
Internet Initiative Japan Inc.