Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:43:13 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for webserver?

--==========3F91AB55FC498DE3A90B==========

--On July 22, 2008 9:01:44 PM -0400 Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Some people enjoy doing that.  Most people just want the software to
>> work,  be easy to maintain and upgrade and then stay out of their way.
>
> Ahem, and that 'just works' crowd is generally not found using FreeBSD
> or in  an admin capacity. :-)

Perhaps you've misunderstood my point?

Compiling from source rather than ports gains you nothing, in most cases,=20
and can cost you a great deal of extra time if you run into problems.=20
Time is something most admins I know have precious little of already.=20
There are certainly special cases where compiling from source is=20
preferable, especially if you have a highly customized installation, but=20
those are the exceptions rather than the rule.  My point was, when you=20
install from ports, you *are* compiling from source.  You just don't have=20
to deal with any of the quirks that arise when you're working from the=20
tarball.  The port maintainers have already dealt with those issues for=20
you.

If you prefer compiling from the tarball then by all means have at it.

As an admin myself, I build world and kernel by hand, but I build all my=20
apps from ports.  (I've used freebsd-update for kernel and world updates,=20
but I normally compile both.)

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not