Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:23:57 +0100
From:      "Thomas Runge" <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video4Unix (1? 2?)

There is a nice page about multimedia for Linux:

 http://www.multimedia4linux.de/

Unfortunately, it's in german. (Fortunately, I speak german ;-> ).

There a lot's of links to multimedia software and I took a quick
view. It seems, that only very few apps support the V4L2 interface,
but quite a lot the bttv driver and (amount growing) the V4L
interface (including broadcast 2000).

The only commercial vendor of multimedia software I found is
mainconcept with it's video editing software Mainactor, which
uses V4L2...

According to the V4L2 homepage, there is a compatibility layer for
"old" V4L software, so if we had a V4L2 interface, everything
should be quite nice.

Sure, most software is available as source, but porting it to
FreeBSD is not everyones beer. I think, it would be quite nice
to have the same interface on FreeBSD. Maybe we could ask the
Linux people to rename it to something like Video4Unix if it
works for us...

--
Tom