Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   switching domain names

I am looking for the method to switch the doamin name of my system on the
fly. I have two possible connections to the world.

   1) Through work. I have an allocated IP address and host name, and
        domain name
   2) Recreational ISP that allocates a dynamic IP at hook up. Obviously
        a different domain name.

I am not sure where the host and domain names are taken from.
  sysconfig has:
     hostname="xxxx.sso.wdl.lmco.com"
  resolv.conf has:
     domain  sso.wdl.lmco.com

But when in recreational mode I want to change the domain name to the
ISP's domain and possibly set my hostname to what his DNS says I am.

Is it possible to us some command to change that domain name. I think I
can get the host name changed, but can't find a similar command for the
domain.

Thanks in advance

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com    | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |