Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:37:06 -0400
From:      Karl Heller <karl@akheller.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regex with dump/restore not working

I'm trying to do something very simple, that is, restore just mp3 files
from a set of tapes.

However, none of the expressions I'm using will work..

restore -tvNf /dev/nsa1 expression; where epxressions I have tried are

*mp3
*.mp3
.*mp3
^*.mp3
^*.mp3$
^.*mp3$

It seems any expression consisting of .* will match anything on the
tape.  Now, I've tried most of these through grep and egrep and they
work there, but not on the restore..which says it wasn't located on the
tape.

I'd rather not do a full restore of all other files (wav, etc...) which
is about 1TB over 10 tapes.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Karl