Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:52:09 -0500
From:      Christian Kuhtz <ck@arch.bellsouth.net>
To:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 09:39:30PM +0100, Kai Voigt wrote:
> > Will we try to include the remaining KAME IPv6 integration into 4.0 before
> > the freeze?  It would be nice to have 4.0 with a functioning IPv6 stack and
> > some applications.
>
> IPv6 is a very complex area and I believe that a -RELEASE should come with
> both a clean IPv6 stack and working userland tools.  When looking at
> Linux and Solaris, they also lack a usable IPv6 support when it comes
> to userland tools.

Really.  IPv6 code is in the 2.2 release & 2.3 development kernels (albeit
flagged as experimental).  And works quite well, and is being used on the
6bone and other IPv6 testbeds.

So, what exactly do you mean with your statement?  Would you care to qualify
your remark?

I don't consider it fair to throw Solaris into the mix isn't fair because it's
a different beast considering the availability and maintenance of the source.
You're comparing apples with oranges here.

Nobody expects IPv6 to be particularly pretty, but it needs to make it into the
regular tree.  Why not for the 4.0 release.  For example, Cisco's IPv6 IOS
train isn't pretty, but it works.  And has been brought up to their most
current code train almost a year ago, if I recall correctly.

If it doesn't get in now, it will be a very long time before a major release
will come about.  And it's not going to get any prettier if nobody has exposure
to it.

> I doubt that IPv6 will make it into 4.0-RELEASE, but I'm sure it
> will be a major item for this year.

I think that's not good enough.  Nobody says it has to be turned on by default,
but it needs to make it into the train as a regular component to allow it to
get more exposure.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz                                     Architecture, BellSouth.net
<ck@arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck@gnu.org> -hm                       Atlanta, GA