Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:09:47 -0500
From:      graphix@iastate.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Common filesystem

  Is there a filesystem that is common between FreeBSD and
(
  ( HP-UX (9 or 10) or IRIX (5 or 6) or Sun (some version of Solaris) )
  and
  ( Ultrix 4.3 or Digital Unix (originally OSF/1 I think) )
)

  Sorry for all the ()'s but as far as I know English does not have
the nice grouping that logic does so the above question might have
been ambigous without them.

  The first set are the machines that I use at work and the second set
are machines that I use at school.  If a common filesystem is
available on any of the machines in the set I can transfer data from
any of the the others in that set.

  Why do I ask about a common filesystem?  Occasionally I collect a
great deal of information and using a PPP (14.4k) connection can
literally take days.  I recently purchased a Jaz drive to speed this
up but so far I am only able to plug it into my FreeBSD machine at
school and at home.  If I could plug it directly into one of the other
machines (esp. the HP on my desk) that would be super.

  This is a question that I could surely answer by doing a little
reesearch on each OS but I was hoping that someone knew off the top of
their head.

  No, carrying a laptop around and exporting the Jaz drive over NFS is
not currently an option :)