Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:17:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

:S play.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         46 GB
:S play.p0.s1            State: up       PO:       32 MB Size:         46 GB
:S play.p0.s2            State: up       PO:       64 MB Size:         46 GB
:...
:S play.p0.s35           State: up       PO:     1120 MB Size:         46 GB
:S play.p0.s36           State: up       PO:     1152 MB Size:         46 GB
:S play.p0.s37           State: up       PO:     1184 MB Size:         46 GB
:vinum ->
:Suspended
:# newfs -v /dev/vinum/rplay
:preposterous size -584318976
:
:Bleah.  :-(
:
:Just thought I'd mention it.  I'm putting the machine into production,
:with the smaller filesystems that I originally intended, but it seemed
:noteworthy to pass this along.  Dunno how many terabyte filesystem folks
:are out there.
:
:... Joe
:
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Joe Greco - Systems Administrator			      jgreco@ns.sol.net

    The scary thing about this posting is that Joe was able to construct his
    1TB+ filesystem with *ONLY* 37 hard drives.

    The second scariest thing about this posting, which Joe didn't mention,
    is that his sole reason for creating this filesystem is to store his collection
    of Elvis movies!

    p.s. I think large filesystems are another reason why NFS (and other remote
    filesystems) is only going to become more important over time.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>