Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 01:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aironet encryption w/ Lucent base works!

I have a Cabletron/Lucent "Access Point" base station and recently
purchased a Cisco (Aironet) 342 (128 bit encryption) PC card.  My base
station has a Lucent/Orinoco Gold card.

I've been trying to get the encryption working between these two
systems without any luck.  I couldn't even get the Cisco card working
with the Lucent card when the Cisco card was running under Windows95,
much less under FreeBSD!

I finally have it working!  Here's the deal:

I, of course, rebuilt my kernel with Doug Ambrisko's changes along
with rebuilding "ancontrol" with his changes to support WEP.  I have
set a 26 hex digit encryption key on the base station as "key 1" and
told it to use "key 1" as the transmit key.  I set the base station to
use encryption, and *not* to allow unencrypted data (this is
important).  I then configured my laptop with something like:
	ancontrol -i an0 -n home
	ancontrol -i an0 -o 1
	ancontrol -i an0 -v 0 -k 0x12345678901234567890123456
	ancontrol -i an0 -K 2
	ancontrol -i an0 -W 1
and it all worked just fine!

It has been already stated here that you must have the *same* keys
defined the same for *all* keys on both sides.  I didn't have any
other, unused, keys defined, so I can't say if that would have stopped
it from working or not.  It has also been stated that the ancontrol
program always sets the last key programmed as the "transmit key".
Also, key "0" for ancontrol corresponds to key "1" on the base
station.

The important change I finally tried which made things work was to
program the base station to "not allow unencrypted data".  When I
programmed this, and restarted the base station, the encryption worked
just fine!

I hope this helps someone.  I couldn't find any documentation on this
anywhere on the net.

/raj