Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:10:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Eric I Arnoth <earnoth@UDel.Edu>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new laptop, pcmcia slots

I'm in the forced position at this moment to buy a new laptop, either old
or low-end new.  Before I do, however, I want to make certain I won't make
the same mistake as I did with my current COMPAQ laptop.  My current
problem is that the PCCard (PCMCIA) slots are apparently proprietary in my
model/make (curse Compaq to hell ;) and I have been unable to use the
ethernet card (3Com 3c589D) because of either that, or plug&play issues.
(On my Compaq, one cannot turn of the PnP in the BIOS.)

Would everyone and anyone on the list please tell me of the laptops they
are aware of, both make and model, which are PCMCIA-trouble-free?  I would
greatly appreciate such help, and I will be sure to consult the PAO
homepage and get that list of experiences as well.  Thank you kindly for
your time.