Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 09:51:54 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install amd64 over existing i386

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:09:19 -0400 (EDT)
Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org> wrote:

> I bought a new machine the other day, and accidentally installed the
> i386 version of FreeBSD on it even though it has a 64-bit processor.
> It works fine, but I think I'd rather have the "right" version. So,
> two questions:
>
> 1. Is it even worth worrying about at this point?

depends on the RAM the machine has and the software you are running on
it.

> 2. Can I just install amd64 without destroying existing filesystems
> and files? I realize I'll have to reinstall my ports, but that's OK.

Do you have some kind of writable USB media? Can you take a drive from
a running amd64 installation and put it into this machine?

Run a make installkernel and make installworld from there and set
DESTDIR to the drive of the new machine.

This method does not touch anything important except of the operating
system. mergemaster should not be needed as the machine is new
and should have nothing on it which was not put onto it by the
installation routine.

Erich