Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:50:03 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@aa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

> What's the etiquette on addressing mailing list mail?  (I've
> limitted myself to newsgroups until now.)  Are people expected to
> have their mail readers set up to drop mail from both the human and
> the list server?

The usual convention is to put the human recipient in the 'To' field
and the list in either the 'To' or 'Cc' field.  Lurkers benefit from
the reply on the list, and questioners who aren't subscribed (a
considerable fraction) benefit from the individual reply.

How you filter your mail is up to you, but duplicates (messages
received both through list delivery and individual delivery) are
directly related to posting, so only very frequent posters have to
confront that issue, AFAIK.  Everyone else can just tell their mail
reader, or separate filter, to drop messages matching '^x-loop:
freebsd\.org' (or something like that) in some special box and be
more or less setup.

> Is it OK to reply only to the list so those with crummy readers
> don't get two?

Probably not, unless you're off-topic, for the reasons stated above.
I think it's fair to expect that the people for whom the duplicates
could be problematic (frequent posters) have decent mail software that
is configured properly.

Lucas