Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:56:19 -0600
From:      Thomas Harris <spiny_norman@jump.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 4.2 to STABLE

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, du shcriebst:
> Michael Rubin <mhr@neverthere.org> types:
> > What I would like is to do a cvsup of only a few necessary sources
> > (sys, maybe sbin) to upgrade my system. From the documentation on
> > freebsd.org it looks like one must cvsup src-all or nothing.
>
> Believe the documentation. You need to sup, then build and install,
> everything you installed that has sources in /usr/src.
>
> 	<mike

of course remember to put *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4"
in your supfile so you are only checking out relevant sourves,  not whole CVS
archive.

you  probably want

src-all
ports-all tag=.
doc-all

being as I only speak English fluently I have a refuse file containing
ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/japanese
ports/korean
ports/russian
ports/vietnamese
doc/es_ES.ISO_8859-1
doc/ja_JP.eucJP

It's a good idea to sup ports because new system + old ports is often broken
thouogh ymmv.