Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:38:27 -0800
From:      Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components)

On Jan 5, 2019, at 07:07, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net> wrote:

>>>=20
>>> C) Make FreeBSD like others. So why making FreeBSD?
>>=20
>> Because we offer some technologies the others do not. Unfortunately
>> inferior and incompatible approaches (similarly: VHS vs BETA, Blue Ray
>> vs HD) have left us on the outside. Try porting Kubernetes to FreeBSD.
> no need to.

Actually, not having Docker/Kubernetes support makes it more difficult to ri=
de the CI/distributed system wave, requiring FreeBSD to reinvent the wheel t=
o do CI, and force various groups to write their own homegrown distributed s=
ystems infrastructures instead of leveraging existing technologies.

>> The technologies used today are more than just fads. They are building
>> blocks onto which future technologies will be built.
>>=20
> and this is really sad.

Not really. It=E2=80=99s a sign of maturity as most things now run on a =E2=80=
=9Ccloud based=E2=80=9D infrastructure, or small embedded OSes running embed=
ded Linux (not FreeBSD).

>>> Not everyone needs the same.
>>=20
>> Niche. We should be more than simply a desktop O/S (which BTW I use as
>> my primary desktop) and we should be more than a simple bare metal O/S.
>=20
> Simple bare metal O/S is what is really needed.

Not really. As Cy pointed out, in order to ensure that FreeBSD is well-suppo=
rted by large companies (Dell, Facebook via WhatsApp, Juniper, and Sony were=
 some of the large contributors over the past couple years, along with a hos=
t of other smaller storage companies), so it continues to exist in a healthy=
 way, it needs to be dynamic and customizable to meet the needs from embedde=
d development up to large-scale distributed systems. A number of these compa=
nies have considered switching away from FreeBSD to Linux because FreeBSD is=
 niche (see Microsoft with Hotmail, Yahoo, etc). Let=E2=80=99s not give deve=
lopers willing to make the switch more ammunition to do so.

Cheers,
-Enji=