Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:57:27 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How to use "traditional crypt"

I have a FreeBSD box with 2.2.7-STABLE on it, and
non-traditional encryption installed:

ls -l /usr/lib/libcrypt*

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  11 Oct 13  1998 /usr/lib/libcrypt.a
-> libscrypt.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  16 Oct 13  1998
/usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2.0 -> libscrypt.so.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  bin  15 Oct 14  1998
/usr/lib/libcrypt_p.a -> libdescrypt_p.a

For a resaon to do with some web authentication on an
offsite server we have bought space on, I have a need to
generate encrypted passwords in traditional, 13 character
UNIX style.

At present, a short C stub, when compiled and run with

bash-2.01# cc pw.c -lcrypt
bash-2.01# ./a.out
$1$_pa$DxOQFT8SEpBphLqHX/W4g1

is spitting out 32 character passwords.

#include <stdio.h>

main() {
   const char *key = "password";
   const char *setting = "_pa";

   printf ("%s\n", crypt(key, setting));
}

man 3 crypt mentions "Traditional crypt", but I don't seem
to be able to use crypt in traditional fashion as things
are. Presumably I just need to find a copy of the trad UNIX
crypt.a libraries and link against those?

Thanks,
Adam.