Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:58:02 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Back from the dead (status report)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 05:34:19PM +0100, Cedric Berger wrote:
> Great news!
> Just a couple of questions:
> - Have you solved the issues regarding FreeBSD pthread implementation?

Partly, it's pretty easily fixable, but I haven't had time to official fix them
so that it's blessed by Dan Eischen.

> - Is it worth to start a new port (HostSpot) now when JDK 1.4 is probably
>  gonna be out of the door next week or so (based on the usual 3 weeks
>  between last RC and release)?

I haven't looked at the code, but the current work should also apply to
1.4 without conflict.

We need NIO under FreeBSD and getting 1.4 is the only way of making that
happen. There might be an unknown performance improvements when that stuff
is sufficiently ported over to kqueue(), but that can't be exported/benched
until the port is useable. The use of this kind of modern async IO mechanism might
even get around some of the performance problems I've heard about concerning
how the FreeBSD system deals with IO event processing. We can't be sure
until this is tested out.

> - Why basing the port on the Linux one, when the "Original" code is probaby
>  the solaris version?

The linux is the closest and least trouble free of the build environments
available. I got the entire thing compiling in a couple of mad rushes over a 2-3
day period, which is pretty good progress and certainly very comforting that I
could duct tape that stuff so quickly. It immediately opens the possibility that
other more in depth work can happen and I'd like to continue on that track.

The platform/CPU specific directories are a pain in the ass, but I've got my head
around it now, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to burn and slash the stuff
that's not FreeBSD specific and replace it with stuff that's close to the Solaris
light weight threading stuff. It is very close to FreeBSD's pthread system if
you've got some tricky access to the per thread structure for internal use, so
it's just matter of exporting that stuff so that HotSpot can use it properly.

> Cedric

That's all. ;-)

bill