Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:05:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copy a running system

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> Greetings,
> I tediously setup a 4.4-stable box as
> a firewall/router, etc.  I have it just
> the way I want it.  I have two other boxes
> a little different hardware) and was wondering
> if I could copy the setup from my running firewall
> to the other two boxes, then just tweak the differences?
> This would save a BOATLOAD of time.

My inclination would be to install a basic system on the new
machine(s) and then use either rsync (needs to be installed and
on both machines).  However, rsync doesn't do hard links, and
the syntax is tricky (you could delete the files on the source
machine if you get it wrong). The nice part about rsync is
that it works across a network.  You can, however, exclude
files.

Alternatively, and probably better, are dump and restore. I
think you'd have to dump to a file, move the files to which you
dump, and restore them.

In either case, you'll get the /etc files from the original
machine, and /etc/fstab especially may be incorrect; you
might want to back it up first.  Other config files will
also be overwritten, like /etc/rc.conf, unless you are
successful with exluding files using rsync.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC