Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:39:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my Wincast, fxtv

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > OTOH, general consensus
> > is that Amancio's work is a QnD designed to get _something_ working
> > now, so to me it makes little sense to try to track.
>
> Hmmm.  If this is true, and it's intended *solely* as a QnD,
> then why net let him have his own isa_dmastatus()?  It doesn't
> hurt anything, and it's not something that will live on in
> infamy.

I was asking myself this in the shower this morning.  Ultimately, there
are three reasons that the idea reeks to me :

 - Idealogically : there should not be a need for a private function
   that screws with the DMA hardware.  If the current feature set is
   broken, then that needs to be addressed.  In this case, if Amancio and
   Luigi sit down and thrash out the issue together, I'm sure a sensible
   compromise will result.
 - Selfishly : having two separate functions is likely to raise more
   debugging/support work.
 - Pragmatically : it is likely the Amancio's code will (given that it
   works right now and nothing else comes close) spend quite a lot of
   time as "the" sound driver.  As such, we're going to be looking at a
   legacy condition sometime down the track where it is expected that the
   sound driver be allowed to frotz with the DMA hardware, and that is
   IMHO not a desirable position at all.

> The issue of PnP (admittedly, he didn't raise that one in this
> particular case, so it's kind of off-topic) is still hotly
> debateable, I suppose (not something I'm going to debate late
> on Sunday, though...).

I'd prefer not to debate it either.  I think that it's sufficiently
separate that when the time comes it can be relocated without
adversely affecting anything at all.  I merely resent the effort
that's being put into standalone PnP-for-sound-cards-only work where
the same effort could be better spent on a generalised push.