Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:10:32 +0200
From:      Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
To:        'S?ren Neigaard' <neigaard@e-box.dk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Offtopic - Apache+mod_ssl

SSL does not handle "users", it handles certificates. The most common
case is for a web server to have a certificate, signed either by a trusted
party or itself. The user in this case will connect to the server and verify
it's identity. The server's certificate will be used to encrypt the traffic.
The other option is where both sides have certificates, and then the web
server can also verify the user's identity. Both certificates are used to
encrypt the traffic.
You can read more about SSL and these modes in httpd.apache.org
and www.modssl.org . Plus, there's a nice article in here:
http://www.freebsddiary.org/openssl-client-authentication.php

If you want to use usernames and passwords, you should probably
learn about .htaccess (on apache) or different authentication
modules (mod_auth_*)

Regards,
Yonatan.