Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:47:25 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Hmm..passwords.

"David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 08:55:51AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > Point of clarification: based on the ERRATA, should I add the
> > > passwd_format=des to all my machines to preserve interoperablity?
> >
> > If you want the same NIS password map to be used on "legacy" UNIXes
> > which don't talk MD5 they have to be DES passwords. Standalone
> > machines should be MD5 for greater security.
>
> When Kris and I discussed this functionality (before Brian went and did
> it); we talked about much higher granularity than Brian implemented:
>
> MD5 everywhere
> DES everywhere
> MD5 locally / DES yp

How would this work?  It would be nearly impossible to do in a reasonable
way, as it appears to me.

> Convert to MD5
> Convert to DES

These are policies for applications including pw(8), passwd(1), etc.
Personally, if anything I believe there should be a default (like in
login.conf) and then a per-application override (like pw.conf).  I don't
really see how PAM enters into this part...

> Maybe in the future we'll get this level granularity.  Or maybe this
> should have been folded into PAM (which really feels orphaned in FreeBSD
> and very few know the vision for PAM w/in FreeBSD).

That doesn't actually address applications being able to use crypt(3) for
either MD5 or DES though.  Personally, I want to be able to make everything
possible MD5 that is not required for interoperability, but use a strong
hash otherwise; MD5 is a much more reasonable default because it is so much
harder to crack than DES.

Each app should be able to use crypt() but configure its behavior.  At least
this really does belong outside of PAM.