Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:57:52 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID-1 as back-up

On Jun 3, 2005, at 18:50, Karl Denninger wrote:

> As with all backup strategies (absent write-once media in SOME cases)
> if the
> media is PHYSICALLY connected to the machine and it is hacked it is
> possible
> for a hacker to scribble on THAT as well.  This is no more likely,
> however,

Or a voltage spike to fry it (the OP has a UPS, right?). Or if there is
some flooding it will scramble things as well.

Regardless of media you use, make sure there is at least one back up
off site. I've heard of some insurance companies not paying out the
business continuation payments since there was no off site data (it was
a condition in the agreement / contract).