Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 13:41:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lague@hargray.com (Lague)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation With Drive Overlay

> I have something called "Drive Overlay" installed on my HD.  It lets me
> access my entire Hard Drive under MS-DOS.  I am interested in installing
> FreeBSD with BootEasy but am cautious.  I believe, if I install
> BootEasy, it will modify the boot record, correct?  And If it does, will
> I loose access to my DOS partition?  Is there some workaround for this?
>  Maybe I could boot from the Dynamic Drive Overlay Partition and then it
> would boot DOS?

I believe this is a product like OnTrack DiskManager 6.x and 7.x
which replaces the boot code with something like 64 sectors of boot
loader for an INT 13 redirecting TSR and then makes the TSR do the
geometry translation for you.

OnTrack puts itself there with a fake partition entry that indicates
that it's there and points to the real partition entry.

Each disk access with the TSR loaded adds 64 to the absolute sector
offest and accesses there instead.

At the 64th sector, the normal DOS MBR is installed.  The TSR loads
it after it is loaded, and executes it.

So the DOS MBR starts booting normally and *thinks* it's at the front
of the disk.

When BSD is installed, it knows to look for the OnTrack disk manager,
but it doesn't necessarily know to look for the "Drive Overlay" code.

So it is dangereous to install the BSD boot manager on this drive.

What I recommend (even for OnTrack) is that you install normally,
and then boot the DOS partition on the disk and install OS-BS from
the DOS prompt -- this will make sure it is loaded AFTER the INT 13
TSR for geometry translation is loaded, so the MBR you replace will
be the DOS MBR, not the "Disk Overlay" or "OnTrack" TSR-loading MBR.

Don't install the OS-BS from the BSD install, since the OS-BS will
be installed without the TSR loaded, and may not recognize it for what
it is and install over the DOS MBR instead.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.