Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:45:37 +0900
From:      ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SRM of Digital personal workstation can only works just with	 matrox ?

Dear Gallatin-san and sirs

>Remove the card & use a serial console.

I did  and could enteredto SRM.
I did set pci_device_override -1

>>>ea.e9.e8.e7.e6.e5.e4.
 Digital Personal WorkStation 600au Console V6.5-145
        built on Aug 28 1997 at 15:40:03
>>>set pci_device_override -1
>>>show pci*
pci_device_override     ffffffff
pci_parity              off

After then, I rebooted the system, but the situation did not changed.

>You can also try putting the card into one of the 32-bit slots (those
>are the 3 narrow slots).

I moved the display card(Powerstorm) to 32bit slots.

The system booted succesfuly. But, In booting second floppy(mfsroot.flp), it
became panic.

I changed Displaycard from pstorm to matrox and did set pci_device_override 0,
and move displaycard to 64bits.

The system booted successfuly and became installed with FreeBSD4.0/Alpha.

It is very strange for me. After installation, I will try Pstorm,again.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely
Y.NISHIMURA

P.S.

Test result of  boot to SRM(pci_device_override=-1)

Display Card      Slot4(64bits PCI)        Slot3(32bits)
PStorm                 NG                         OK
Matrox                  OK                        OK

Test result of  boot of freebsd

Display Card      pci_device_override=0    pci_device_override=-1
PStorm(Slot3)                 NG                       NG
Matrox (slot4)                 OK                        OK

Now, I am using the system with matrox and pci_device_override=0