Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 2004 09:37:11 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <freebsd-mobile@gargantuan.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] RBEM56G-100 - tone b0rken but pulse works?

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

Hey there mobile users, I have a OT question for you.  I bought a
RBEM56G-100 some time ago, based on the recommendations of a few folks
on this list, and have been extremely happy with it... until yesterday.
I started getting the strangest behavior out of the modem and wanted to
get your take on it.

When I try to dial a number using pulse dialing, it works fine.
However, when I try to dial a number using tone dialing, the call
doesn't go through.  In fact, the modem isn't even sending the tones to
the line... the dial tone keeps blaring away through the speaker even
the tones are sent.  I can pick up an extension and hear the pulses when
using pulse dial, but when using tone dial, I hear no tones through the
handset on the extension.  I can hear through the PC speaker that the
tones are being generated, but it is as if there is now some sort of
disconnect between the tone sending thingamajig and the line.

BTW, I am in central Florida and we had a whopper of a lightning storm
yesterday.  While I did hear a few pops on the line, none of my other
equipment has been affected (fax, two other phones, modem on another
pc).  Is it probable that this RBEM56G-100's modem is so sensitive that
it was zapped while none of my other equipment suffered?

So, in your opinion, should I start hitting eBay for a new RBEM56G-100?

Thanks for your time.

--=20
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=3D&%C=3D\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--