Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:42:03 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: More CAM fixes.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:09:35 -0700
Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:

> FWI.  I need lots of testing on this.  Only real SCSI controllers,
> please, not RAID controllers (except for MPT-SCSI with integrated
> mirroring).  So Adaptec, LSI, Symbios, Buslogic, Tekram, SME, etc,
> users, please try this and get back to me.  The patch should apply
> to FreeBSD 7 as well.  FreeBSD 6 is only affected by this problem
> when CAM_NEW_TRAN_CODE is enabled.

I tested this with an Adaptec 29160.  I saw no real improvement in
performance, but also no regressions.

I suspect that the old disk I had attached just didn't have enough
performance reserves to show an improvement.

My test scenario was buildworld.  Since /usr/src and /usr/obj were both
on the one disk it got a pretty good workout.

AMD64 X2 (2.5 GHz) with 4GB of RAM.

BTW under a very fresh 8.0-current.

---
Gary Jennejohn