Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:42:42 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jake Khuon <khuon@GBLX.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixing hard read errors

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Jake Khuon wrote:

> I've started taking corruption errors on the drive.
>
> Dec 20 23:37:50 Mocha /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 19527354
> Dec 20 23:37:56 Mocha /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 19527354 status=59
> error=40
> Dec 20 23:37:57 Mocha /kernel: ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
>
> Right now, I've had to set the fsck flag to 0 in /etc/fs and am doing a
> forcemount of /usr in /etc/rc before the other mounts just to keep me going.
>
> Is there a way to use badsect to map these out?  When I try, I get this:
>
> badsect /usr/BAD 19527354
> block 19527354 out of range of file system
> Don't forget to run ``fsck /dev/rad0s2f''

The block number printed by the ad driver is relative to the start of the
disk, but the block number for badsect must be relative to the start of
the filesystem (ad0s2f).

Disk drivers should use the standard function for reporting disk errors
(diskerr()) so that more information, including the filesystem-relative
block number, is printed.  From subr_disklabel.c:
---
/*
 * Disk error is the preface to plaintive error messages
 * about failing disk transfers.  It prints messages of the form

hp0g: hard error reading fsbn 12345 of 12344-12347 (hp0 bn %d cn %d tn %d sn %d)
---

Bruce