Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:01:19 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: c++ problem?

Kris Kennaway wrote:
[ ... ]
>>> At some point a port incorrectly installed the
>>> /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a file; remove it and recompile.
[ ... ]
> It does seem to be coming up a lot recently..I'd feel better about it
> if I knew what had installed that file, though.

Would it be reasonable to start looking at ports which actually contain the
file in their pkg-plist, such as lang/gcc*:

247-sec% pkg_info -La | grep libstdc++.a
/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd4.9/3.4.0/libstdc++.a

Maybe one of the gcc ports created or symlink'ed that library under
/usr/local/lib directly, rather than, or in addition to, using the GNU
autoconf-triple + software_version path...?

Someone with a system exhibiting the problem might try the command above and
see whether they get a match.

--
-Chuck