Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:54:45 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Should jail treat ip-number?

Hello,

I have some concern about jail, and would like to discuss them.

Currentlly jail set an ip-number and let prisoned processes
only to bind it.
My concerns are,

(1)When IPv6 is added to the system, more general id would be
   desirable.

(2)What is the goal of the restriction?
   If physical level access protection is wanted,
   then specifing interface name is more general and certain
   way of achieving it.
   (Because when that ip-number is replaced to another
    network interface, then the restriction also will move on
    it)

   If some virtual network level protection is wanted,
   then specifying ip-number is suitable, but I think more
   general id should be used such as a pointer to a sockaddr.

I think kernel change will not so much for any above addition
or changes, but there will be some backword compatibility
issue for API. (some member addition to the jail structure,
and jail command extensions)

Yoshinobu Inoue