Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:58:48 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kan Cai <kcai@cs.ubc.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ad-hoc wireless mode and ticks (fwd)

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

[bcc-ing -mobile; this really belongs on -questions]

On Monday,  3 March 2003 at 13:10:26 -0800, Kan Cai wrote:

> I sent the question in freebsd-question list, but it seems a wrong list to
> ask.

No, -questions is the correct list.  Did somebody complain?  Maybe
because you sent your message as an reply to a different thread?

> Hi, All:
>
>   Feel a little confused with the ad-hoc mode set by "wicontrol -p
> 3", is it Lucent ad-hoc mode instead of the standard IEEE ad-hoc
> mode (IBSS).

Correct.  It's generally called "demo ad-hoc mode".

>   After I use "-p 3" option, it cannot talk to Linux/Windows ad-hoc
> wireless station.

Correct.

> But if I set it to "-p 4", it can do the job. However, I cannot find
> this option in wicontrol man page or anywhere. Could somebody
> explain me what's going on here?

I don't know a -p 4.  I set ad-hoc (i.e. IBSS) mode with -p 1 (in
other words, exactly the same way as managed/BSS mode).  You'll need
at least one IBSS, of course.  Set that with -c 1.  Ignore the claim
in the man page that it doesn't work.  I run my wireless network like
this, and it interoperates fine with Linux and even Microsoft.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-feb2002.html#9 for more details.

Yes, this is very confusing.  I've been asking the maintainer to
change the terminology, but he points out that the other BSDs do it
this way as well.

>   Moreover, could somebody give me a hint what is the corresponding
> function in FreeBSD like "rdtscl" function in Linux, which returns me the
> cpu ticks elapsed?

This looks like a completely separate question, probably one which is
off-topic for -mobile.  Can you give context, or better, send another
message to -questions.

Greg
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.
See http://www.lemis.com/yahoospam.html for further details.

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--